Large Firm Quality, Small Firm Atmosphere
L. Forrest Owens, Esq.
Senior Aviation Counsel
312 SE 17th Street
Fort Lauderdale, FL 33316
Forrest Owens spent his formative years in Indiana. Mr. Owens attended Vincennes University where he focused his studies on aviation technology and obtained Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Airframe and Powerplant (A&P) as well as private pilot licenses, graduating with an A.S. in 1998. Mr. Owens subsequently attended Indiana University Kelley School of Business where he majored in Finance with a minor in Economics, completing a B.S. in 2001. During the course of undergraduate study, Mr. Owens worked full-time for a leading aircraft turbine engine manufacturer based in Indianapolis as well as a regional airline and an internationally recognized aviation centered freight company. Mr. Owens attended law school at Valparaiso University where he graduated with a J.D. in 2005.
Before joining SG, Mr. Owens spent nine years focused on aviation related legal matters with boutique aviation firms. Mr. Owens has acted as counsel in the purchase and sale of hundreds of aircraft transactions ranging from experimental home-built aircraft to large cabin corporate aircraft. Mr. Owens has worked with every major manufacturer of turbine powered corporate aircraft. Mr. Owens has also been involved in the merger and acquisition of many aviation related businesses.
Mr. Owens practice concentrates on aircraft and aviation related transactions, cross-border transactions, airman defense before the FAA and Department of Transportation, airport real estate and land use, and civil litigation. Mr. Owens joined SG in 2015 and leads the aviation practice group under the trade name Global Aviation Counsel, LLC.
- Vincennes University – Aviation Technology (A.S. 1998) (Technology Department Outstanding Alumni Award recipient 2005)
- Indiana University Kelly School of Business (B.S. 2001)
- Valparaiso University School of Law (J.D. 2005)
- Indiana (Inactive), 2006
- Florida, 2007
- Illinois, 2008
Aviation Industry Involvement
- Regulatory Issues Advisory Group – Maintenance Committee Liaison
- National Business Aviation Association – Regulatory Issues Advisory Group
- South Florida Business Aviation Association, Treasurer
- Florida Bar – Standing Member of the Aviation Law Committee
- Aircraft Owners and Pilot Association – Panel Attorney
- National Business Aviation Association
- National Aircraft Finance Association
- Florida Aircraft Business Association